Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Dance Rush Members: Meet Pia Calleja: Dance, a Sense of Being


I joined YADA almost ten years ago and I still remember the excitement I felt when I heard Felix’s voice on the phone asking me to join the company. This was the company I had watched perform with admiration as a young girl and teenager. It meant that one day I would be dancing alongside the people I had looked up to for such a long time. Although I had already experienced the exhilarating feeling of being on stage before I joined YADA, joining the company opened doors for new experiences such as cabaret shows, quick changes and a closer interaction with the people watching in the audience.

Through positive and negative experiences in my life, I believe that dancing and being part of YADA always reminded me who I am as a person and what I really love doing. Being part of the YADA dance company was one of the few constants in my life which gave me a sense of being in a place where I belonged at the end of the day and making me feel like being part of something important. Therefore when I moved to the UK, I actually felt like an important part of my life was missing. Even though I kept going to dance classes, it just wasn’t the same. I missed being part of that dynamic group. YADA was like a family in which we shared laughs, tears, words of encouragement and support and above all our passion for dance.

Upon deciding to return to Malta around a year ago, I knew that amongst the first few people I would call to let them know that I’m back were my dance teachers. Their tone at the other end of the line felt welcoming and genuinly happy to let me back into their dance world, my old dance world, the one I had missed so much. During the phone call, I relived once more the happiness I had once felt when I was first asked to join YADA so many years ago when Felix said that ‘YADA dance company doors are still open for you’.

It felt great to be back to the YADA family, even with the late night rehearsals after work and all the aches and pains it entails. It is worth it, YADA shows and events make the hard work worth it, being on stage as a company and performing as part of a group and also on an individual level also make it worth it. In the same way working towards dancing in San Francisco is hard work but I am sure all the hard work will pay off and seem like nothing in comparison to the thrill of being in that theatre on that stage in January waiting for the curtain to open and waiting to give it all we’ve got – I feel so lucky to be part of this amazing opportunity and new adventure for YADA.

YADA opens doors to new experiences and opportunities and the future is always bright and exciting when you are part of YADA. I therefore look forward to a long future with YADA – I guess in my case the saying ‘you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone’ was true for being with YADA. I now know how hard it is to find another company which pushes me to my limits and makes me dance to the best of my abilities. I learnt to appreciate YADA more and I’m extremely grateful for getting another chance of being with the company once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment