Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Dance Rush Members: Natasha Coppini explains - The Psychology of the Dancer

I joined Yada in 2004 at the age of 15. As a young dancer at the College of Jazz, we looked up to the Yada company members and we watched our idols on stage, hoping one day to be given the opportunity to perform the ‘Big Numbers’ with the company. So, joining Yada for me was a big deal and I felt honoured and proud to form a part of the clan. Going on 8 years now as a company member, I feel that my pride is instilled deeper than ever. 

What has Yada done for me? Plenty! The opportunity to perform the creations of our talented choreographers, to form part of productions that have pushed boundaries and wowed audiences, to explore dance styles that I wouldn’t have otherwise and ultimately to be part of a team, a crew, a family. No one understands us more than our fellow company members; the aching muscles, the injuries, the intense rehearsal schedules, juggling exams, juggling work, juggling friends and boyfriends. Yada has thought me the true meaning of commitment and passion, and dedicating yourself to something you love. No excuses will suffice, rain or shine, freezing or 40 degree temperatures, injuries or under the weather, missing important occasions like a friend’s birthday, or a wedding sometimes!... there is everyone, gathered in the studio, ready to absorb a new choreo and ready to shine! 

The psychology of the dancer is an interesting area, and my interest in the dancer’s obsession with dance was taken a little further when I conducted a research study on the company dancers as part of my Psychology Degree. Dancers are tough beings, they endure aches and pains, fatigue and competition, only turning it all into motivation to progress and achieve. My study showed that while we are challenged daily, and at times may leave the studios feeling discouraged, defeated or exhausted, each and every one of us takes it in our stride and are back the next day with new found motivation and increased strength. We talk, we chat, we discuss, we motivate and encourage each other. For me personally Yada and being part of the company, gave me the motivation I needed to recover from a serious knee injury I suffered earlier in the year. 

While surgeons told me I would not dance very soon, and physiotherapists raised their eyebrows, with a goal at hand and our director’s words of wisdom on my mind, I was able to push forward, despite my limitations and recover in time for our first and very exciting rehearsal for Dance Rush. Thus for me, Yada has thought me the meaning of dedication, motivation, endurance, perseverance and ultimately love and passion. It is on stage, with adrenalin running through our veins, as the first curtain draws that the reward for our hard work will reach its peak, at the Palace of Fine Arts Theatre, San Francisco- for most of us, the ultimate dream come true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment